NASW-Nevada and The University of Nevada, Reno School of Social Work went to the legislative building and lobbied on behalf of all social workers in Nevada! Our Executive Director, Kyle Hillman, and our lobbyist Tess Opferman both spoke to the social work students! The event was a huge success and NASW-Nevada was grateful to be a part of such a critical event like this!
The 2021 Virtual Social Work Advocacy Day allowed professionals and students to utilize the collective voices of social workers and those we serve to our elected officials. Attendees we able to speak out on important issues facing the social work profession in Nevada's legislative arena. There are pre-recorded and live learning opportunities, virtual meetings with legislators, and advocating for social work priority policies.
What is social work advocacy day?
Every other year, the National Association of Social Workers Nevada, the School of Social Work, University of Nevada Reno, and the School of Social Work, University of Nevada Las Vegas host hundreds of social workers and students at the Nevada capital building for a day of advocacy. With pandemic concerns, we have moved this experience to a virtual event - allowing everyone across the state to participate safely. The goal of the event is to further social workers' knowledge about legislative advocacy and provide an opportunity for social workers to speak with their legislators about the social work profession and important client issues.
*If you have any questions or need further information, please Email Amanda Cuevas, Northern Nevada Representative, and Lecture at UNR at Amanda.email@example.com
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.
PLEASE NOTE: Registrants who register AFTER February 12, 2021, will not be assigned meetings with legislators. You will still be able to attend the educational elements, including the keynote on Advocacy Day, though.
Prepare for Social Work Advocacy Day:
● Watch the one-hour long Nevada Legislature & Social Work Advocacy on NASW-NV YouTube Channel (link will be sent in confirmation link).
● Watch the one-hour long Experts on Legislation on NASW-NV YouTube Channel (link will be sent in confirmation email)
● Attend the one and a half-hour long Lobbying, Advocacy & Practice on February 10, 2021, at 5:30 pm (Link will be included in the confirmation email)
During Social Work Advocacy Day:
● Log into Zoom on February 17, 2021, at 9:00 am for Keynote and Updates. Prior to the day, all participants will have access to the necessary materials: agenda, legislative priorities, bill one-pagers, advocacy toolkit, and more! (Link to the event will be sent at a later date)
COST: FREE if not seeking CEUs.
If Seeking CEUs:
With 5 CEUS: $35.00 for NASW Members
$50.00 for NonMembers
Up to 5 CEUs will be available for professional social workers who registered for that option during registration.
● Each preparation Workshop: Nevada Legislature & Social Work Advocacy, Experts on Legislation, and Lobbying, Advocacy & Practice are worth 1 CEU each. To receive CEU hours, professionals must attend the live session or watch the recorded videos at a later date.
Attendees who watch the recorded sessions will be asked to explain three takeaways from the recorded session in the final survey.
● The day of the event will be worth 2 CEU credit hours. This event will not be recorded for later viewing. If you miss this event, you will not be eligible for 2 of the 5 CEUs, and no refund will be offered.
● All individuals requesting CEUs must complete post evaluation by February 26, 2021.
● CEU forms will be sent out by email from the Nevada Chapter of NASW, and please allow up to 30 days after February 26 to receive your certificates.